New Spell Check Mode

Suggestions, feature requests and bug reports.
easycass

Post by easycass » May 31st, ’18, 07:56

I would like to suggest an extra mode for spell-checking. The current list of spell checking and correction options basically entail: -

1) Text Expander - Used to correct known mistype and spelling errors
2) Auto Complete - Used to select known words in a Wordlist dictionary

All work to some degree to speed up typing, but some issues I note for myself: -

1) Text Expander - Unless the specific mistype or spelling error is in the file, there is no correction
2) Auto Complete - Selecting words from the dropdown menu takes time, and can actually interrupt flow of typing

In all cases, any misspelled words left in the text after the above processes are not highlighted (unless the host application does it, like MS Word).

So, I am thinking, well, if most of the time what I am typing is likely correct, why not only react when I type something incorrectly. So, instead of showing all words that are correct and in the dictionaries, give me an indication when something is not in the dictionaries. This translates to: instead of doing something when a match is found, only take action when a match is not found. So, the flow would be something like: -

1) User types until delimiter (space , . enter etc) is typed. Pass this word to stage 2.

2) If word is found in Text Expander Auto Correct file, then make the correction and loop back to stage 1, else pass word to stage 3.

3) If word is found in Auto Complete Word List file, then all is good and loop back to stage 1, else pass word to stage 4.

4) At this point, the word is considered 'new', and how to deal with it will depend on whether the user has selected Auto or Manual mode in Preferences.
4a) Auto Mode - User can preselect one of the following settings in Preferences that is automatically applied and then back to stage 1.
........Add - automatically add mistyped word to Auto Complete Learned file)
........Delete - automatically delete the typed word
........Mark - automatically place user-selectable marks around typed word, such as {{word}} or [[word]]
........Ignore - don't do anything with the new word
4b) Manual Mode - Typing is paused and one of the following options is selected using dropdown menu
........Correct - ask user correct spelling, typed word is corrected and this rule is added to Auto Correct Learned file
........Add - add mistyped word to Auto Complete Learned file
........Delete - delete the typed word
........Mark - place user-selectable marks around typed word, such as {{word}} or [[word]]
........Ignore - don't do anything with the new word

5) Not a step in the flow, but a separate function that can be initiated to search the highlighted text in the document for all marked words (that have the user-selectable {{word}} around them), and then select an action: -
........Delete all marks and marked words
........Delete all marks but leave words intact
........Jump to each marked word and select either: Correct, Add, Delete, Mark, Ignore, Skip (this last one to leave marks in place)

So, might look complicated on initial look, but I think it could actually be quite easy to program and understand as an extra option beyond what we have now.

Just an idea for the future... :D
Marko

Post by Marko » Jun 1st, ’18, 15:36

Thanks Cass, some interesting ideas here for our evaluation. ;)
easycass

Post by easycass » Jun 1st, ’18, 15:40

Yep... just an idea dude.
davidp

Post by davidp » Jun 3rd, ’18, 12:39

Yes,add the feature's requested by cass.It's really an important feature.