Shortcut combination with Shift & Windows key

Discussion, questions and support.
Oblomov

Post by Oblomov » Jun 4th, ’20, 21:47

Hello,

I have been for a very long been struggling with making shortcuts work, that include the Windows key. They always need a lot of back and forth editing, but still often times end up being very inconsistent.

So I was wondering if there is perhaps any way to block the 'Shift + Win' Windows hotkey, but still be able to use it for AHK/FK?

Everytime I try to execute shortcut 'Shift + Win + Q', it just messes around, instead of doing what it is supposed to. E.g. it opens the Windows Start menu, etc., which renders it absolutely unusable. I've tried adding delays and such, but to no avail...

I could try and move the shortcut elsewhere. I.e. omit using the Windows key in the combination. but I pretty much don't have any conveniently reachable shortcut combinations, at this point

EDIT: just to note, Ctrl + Windows key, doesn't result in any problematic behavior

Kind regards,
Last edited by Oblomov on Jun 29th, ’20, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Post by Tom » Jun 9th, ’20, 16:07

Interesting, I tested the shortcuts with Win key and all work without any issues. The exceptions are Win+L and Win+U which are locked by the system.

Tried Shift+Win+Q, Win+E ... they should all work fine.
Oblomov

Post by Oblomov » Jun 11th, ’20, 17:15

Tom wrote: Jun 9th, ’20, 16:07 Interesting, I tested the shortcuts with Win key and all work without any issues. The exceptions are Win+L and Win+U which are locked by the system.

Tried Shift+Win+Q, Win+E ... they should all work fine.
Perhaps it's some issue on my side, but yeah, for example when I execute a command with the shortcut Shift + Win + V, a start menu, more or less always flashes by as in:

Which is not really a problem or anything, but was with Shift+Win+Q, until I made a change in it, to make a click, before executing a text-processing command, in order to 'click off' the start menu at first. Before I implemented the click in the beginning, it just opened IE, instead of processing/moving the selected piece of text, from Notepad++. As shown below:

The command itself (Shift+Win+Q) is this:

Code: Select all

MouseGetPos, xpos, ypos

MouseMove, 1740, 21
Send, {LButton}

Send, ^{vk43}{100}
Send, !s{100}!s{100}m{150}{Enter}

MouseMove, 266, 17
Send, {LButton}^{Enter}
;clipboard := clipboard
Send, ^{vk56}

MouseMove, xpos, ypos
Where the

MouseMove, 1740, 21
Send, {LButton}
'Click-off', seems to prevents the second gif-related issue. Not always, but most of the time, which is fine I guess. I did try implementing delays at first, but that didn't really help, as opposed to the initial click
Tom

Post by Tom » Jun 11th, ’20, 19:32

Your command simulates the mouse clicks on the desktop which may trigger various effects, dependent on your setup. Can you try the same shortcut with the simple command like

msgbox Hello World
to see it the issue is related to your command?
Oblomov

Post by Oblomov » Jun 11th, ’20, 19:42

Tom wrote: Jun 11th, ’20, 19:32 Your command simulates the mouse clicks on the desktop which may trigger various effects, dependent on your setup. Can you try the same shortcut with the simple command like

msgbox Hello World
to see it the issue is related to your command?
I replaced my current Shift+Win+V shortcut with the msgbox one, and this is what I got
Tom

Post by Tom » Jun 12th, ’20, 09:18

Don't know, I tried on three computers and it works fine for me.
Oblomov

Post by Oblomov » Jun 12th, ’20, 11:36

Tom wrote: Jun 12th, ’20, 09:18 Don't know, I tried on three computers and it works fine for me.
As in the start menu pop-up never came up?
Tom

Post by Tom » Jun 12th, ’20, 17:42

Pressing Shift+Win+V shows a msgbox only - no Windows Start menu.
Oblomov

Post by Oblomov » Jun 12th, ’20, 17:56

Tom wrote: Jun 12th, ’20, 17:42 Pressing Shift+Win+V shows a msgbox only - no Windows Start menu.
Gotcha, thanks. I'm gonna go ahead and look for/create a thread on some Windows 10 forum, to get to the bottom of this
Oblomov

Post by Oblomov » Jun 29th, ’20, 18:13

Tom wrote: Jun 12th, ’20, 17:42 Pressing Shift+Win+V shows a msgbox only - no Windows Start menu.
Just made a thread on this, and it seems that according to:
https://www.tenforums.com/general-suppo ... ost1953312
Shift Win opens the Start menu as you know. That is a standard Win 10 hotkey.
That I'm not alone on this after all 🤔