Three Dots

Discussion, questions and support.
easycass

Post by easycass » Jun 5th, ’18, 11:49

So, here is an interesting one for a Tuesday...

When I type three full stops, like '...', FastKeys displays the first 9 words (I have 9 suggestions set in the dropdown box) of the first Auto Complete wordlist file. I can do this in any application, not even at a text entry window. Be interesting to hear of anyone else where this happens ;)

Is there something special about three dots? :?:
Marko

Post by Marko » Jun 5th, ’18, 15:11

I cannot reproduce it on our computers. Must be a specific combination of settings you use... What if you set the Preferences to defaults?
easycass

Post by easycass » Jun 5th, ’18, 15:17

Hi Marko,

Thanks for the reply. Man, I must have two very strange computers here. I tried it on my Windows 7 and 10 machines, before and after resetting defaults, and yep, it does it on both. I think I need to get hold of a third computer :D

If I get time over the next few days, I'll try loading up a virgin operating system and seeing what happens with all these quirks. I'll let you know...

Later,
Cass.
Marko

Post by Marko » Jun 5th, ’18, 15:20

Which language and keyboard settings do you use?
easycass

Post by easycass » Jun 5th, ’18, 15:51

Hi Marko,

Country/Region: Australia
Language: English Australia
Keyboard: US Qwerty

Cheers,
Cass.
easycass

Post by easycass » Jun 5th, ’18, 16:24

So, a few other observations that may or may not mean anything...

1) The number of presses of the '.' character that brings up the Auto Complete window is the same as the number of presses specified in Minimum word length to show suggestion. So, if I have 5 there, it takes 5 presses of the period key to display the Window.

2) Pressing the decimal point on the numeric keyboard does the same.

3) After checking the whole keyboard, on both computers, I get the same thing happening when typing ^^^.

Weird stuff...

Also, I just wanted to say that because this is so obscure, and seems entirely local to my systems, please do not feel like you need to take any great amount of time to investigate. I just thought I would send you anything I find in case it is helpful down the track.

Cheers...
Marko

Post by Marko » Jun 5th, ’18, 17:23

Wait! Your last two posts were very helpful and I was able found the issue. Three dots are the result of the combination of your language setting and the calculator being enabled in Preferences/Functions/Calculator. We will resolve this asap.

Thanks! ;)
easycass

Post by easycass » Jun 6th, ’18, 14:57

Hi Marko,

Okay, sounds promising. Do you think the language settings might also be related to the other problem I had with 'teh' ?

Looking forward to hearing your progress... Thanks for your time...