Portable Version

Suggestions, feature requests and bug reports.
Alex DP

Post by Alex DP » Nov 25th, ’13, 20:15

Hi Marko,

have you thought about a portable version of FastKeys? It would be very useful for a lot of users.

Thanks for your work,

Alessandro
Marko

Post by Marko » Nov 25th, ’13, 23:47

Thanks for the suggestion, portable version it is being considered. ;)

In the meantime you can try copying FastKeys folder to other location. It should work.

Edit: load portable version from fastkeys.vze.com, scroll to the bottom of the page.
Alex DP

Post by Alex DP » Nov 26th, ’13, 01:09

Where are the settings stored? Registry or internal db?

The PAF format would be great: http://portableapps.com/development

;)
Alex DP

Post by Alex DP » Nov 26th, ’13, 11:49

Ok, I analyzed it a little, you're using two settings file in Data subfolder, one ini file and one fdb file.

I first copied the FastKeys dir from windows "program files" to my portableapps dir and then uninstalled it from windows. Then I edited the settings.ini file to point the "Data" directory to the portableapps dir. I also moved the "Phrase Files", "Scripts" and "Wordlists" directories to my dropbox dir in order to have it automatically backed up and reflected the changes in the ini file.

Launched FastKeys from portableapps launcher and everything's working fine. :)

So you only have to package it in PAF format...cool...it means that it won't take much to release it. ;)

Thanks again for your work.

Alessandro
Marko

Post by Marko » Nov 28th, ’13, 19:58

Hi Alessandro,

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, from 2.04 on, all user data is saved in one fdb file which makes life much easier. You can also use Save As... to save your data to a new data folder (or rename).

I will study a PAF format and portableapps concept into more details and eventually came up with some ideas.

And yes, FastKeys uses no registry entries!
Alex DP

Post by Alex DP » Nov 29th, ’13, 03:46

Can't wait to test the PAF version. :)

If you need betatesting of the portable version let me know.
Marko

Post by Marko » Dec 30th, ’13, 00:42

Portable support has now been added in the new version 2.06. You can download a beta version from

http://fastkeys.vze.com
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo » Dec 31st, ’13, 00:09

Great, I use Fastkeys at home, now I hope I can use it at work on my work computer too. :D :D :D

I'll test it in next few days and let you know how it works.
Alex DP

Post by Alex DP » Dec 31st, ’13, 10:13

Installed it and seems to be working ok.

Did you create the installer base on the PAF format or is it just a generic setup that unzips file into a user-chosen directory? I ask this because I've seen other setup programs that "triggered" the PortableApplication util that is running in order to find the PortableApps directory and automatically proposed the name of the subdirectory into which install the program.
Marko

Post by Marko » Dec 31st, ’13, 11:07

The portable version is essentially an unzip of files to selected folder without creating uninstall files/entries. It also doesn't require administrator setup privileges. Auto update function is supported.

For the time being I'm not using standard PAF format as this would require changing default paths and data folder structure.