Feature Request - Integrated Sync With Dropbox/Google Sync etc.

Suggestions, feature requests and bug reports.
burnedstriker

Post by burnedstriker » Nov 22nd, ’18, 07:46

Many thanks for creating this wonderful software. One of my best-paid software investment ever, probably after Windows.

Fastkeys provides so many features and users add their own customisations, add scripts and tweak settings etc. and build their own database over the years.

Fastkeys already has an auto backup feature and tweaking the backup folder to save to sync software like Dropbox, Google Backup & Sync already implements the feature I am requesting.

But, if Fastkeys and integrate the sync feature directly into the software itself will make things much better than the user doing this manually.

It will also open up the possibility to sync settings over multiple devices where Fastkeys is installed.

At this time, I would think that any tweaks made on the Main device, will not update it on the Other device unless new settings are directly loaded on the Other device. Sync feature may be able to eliminate that.
Tom

Post by Tom » Nov 22nd, ’18, 13:11

Settings files can be located on any valid Windows location, including shared locations like Dropbox folder. By saving the settings file (File/Save As...) to a shared location, you can access your settings from different computers.

Is this what you are looking for?
burnedstriker

Post by burnedstriker » Nov 25th, ’18, 09:47

Tom wrote: Nov 22nd, ’18, 13:11 Settings files can be located on any valid Windows location, including shared locations like Dropbox folder. By saving the settings file (File/Save As...) to a shared location, you can access your settings from different computers.

Is this what you are looking for?
Thanks, Tom for the reply and sorry about the delayed reply. It seems I never received the notification about your reply on my email and only after checking the forum topic manually did I come to know about your reply.

Current, I have a similar setup as your recommendation in your reply. What I have done is that I have shifted the backup folder from the Documents folder to my sync folder. This creates a continuous backup in case something goes wrong with the drive or data.

But I have created a separate folder for each device i.e. Desktop & Laptop.

What I wanted by suggesting the feature was, if someone made any changes on the Desktop Fastkeys installation, the same setting file would be used on the other device and any changes made on the desktop would be automatically picked up on the laptop without manually going to the laptop Faskeys installation and updating the same using the settings file.

I am unsure if Fastkeys can do this currently as currently, only a backup is made on a regular basis but the new setting file is not picked up continuously whenever changes are made to it. For e.g. whenever I made a setting change for my Desktop on Windows 10, the same setting is updated on my Windows 10 Laptop without me pointing Windows 10 to the setting file or manually changing it on the Laptop.

At my current setup, I use the desktop setting file and load it on the laptop anytime I made any changes in Desktop Fastkeys and vice versa.

I know my post is confusing and I am unsure whether my thoughts have reached out to you correctly so in case of any confusion, please let me know and I'll clarify further.
Tom

Post by Tom » Nov 25th, ’18, 21:17

If you sync other files that you can use them from different computers, you can do the same with FastKeys:
- on the first computer, use File/Save As... to save the settings file to Dropbox folder,
- on the second computer, use File/Open... to load the settings file from a Dropbox folder.

This way you will be using the same settings file on both computers.
:?:
burnedstriker

Post by burnedstriker » Nov 26th, ’18, 05:33

Tom wrote: Nov 25th, ’18, 21:17 If you sync other files that you can use them from different computers, you can do the same with FastKeys:
- on the first computer, use File/Save As... to save the settings file to Dropbox folder,
- on the second computer, use File/Open... to load the settings file from a Dropbox folder.

This way you will be using the same settings file on both computers.
:?:
Thanks for the reply, Tom.

Let me try this out and get back to you whether it works as intended or not.