FastKeys Cannot Save Empty File Message

Suggestions, feature requests and bug reports.
catasolo

Post by catasolo » Nov 3rd, ’22, 10:07

Delete all records from every section (Text Expander, Start Menu, Shortcuts, Auto Complete, Gesture). Try close the window and an error message appears "ERROR: Cannot save empty file."

Go to Settings and click [Defaults] button. Check "Reset ALL preferences" and click [Yes] button. The same error appears.

My personal opinion is that this error message is vague and indications should be given. For example, there are no records in at least one section. Anyone with average user knowledge who ends in this situation does not know hot to approach it.

I've attached a screenshot to see what it's all about:
https://mega.nz/file/jkwEhAZC#kWIYAJHk6 ... zZ_0oTxqM8

Deleting Tabs

Issue 1: I deleted all the records from the sections and there remained a Default tab in each. I think that FastKeys needs at least one tab in every section and at least one record created regardless of the chosen tab, otherwise the program generates "ERROR: Cannot save empty file". My personal opinion is that the displayed message is generic and vague. It should describe the issue, so that the user creates at least one record in a tab.

Issue 2: When you delete a tab that has no records the program reloads but if it has at least one record added then the same generic message "ERROR: Cannot save empty file" is displayed. Again a generic and vague message. In this case, I think it should be specified that first all the records in the tab are selected and deleted and then the tab can be deleted.

I've attached a screenshot to see what it's all about:
https://mega.nz/file/nxZ1RTSZ#P-99crzcB ... AlJg9utPiA
Marko

Post by Marko » Nov 3rd, ’22, 16:31

Thanks for your clear and concise reports, much appreciated. I have grouped similar posts together, I hope you don't mind.

The purpose of this error message is to prevent unwanted saving of a file in which all the contents have been potentially deleted by user mistake.
I agree with you that the message is vague and not helpful, we will update it in the next release.
catasolo

Post by catasolo » Nov 3rd, ’22, 22:10

Thank you Marko. I have tested tons of applications in almost 30 years. From my side I appreciate programmers who are open to criticism and suggestions related to their creations. Even if their number was limited.

BTW you did a good job with the videos posted on YouTube.