Text Expander - Name Contains

Suggestions, feature requests and bug reports.
JGM22

Post by JGM22 » Dec 10th, ’15, 15:45

I use the text expander display as you type, please consider allowing the ability to expand this functionality to work when typing letters that are contained within the word.

Example: If I type NBU it would show all of the following below because NBU is contained somewhere in the title name.

NorthNBUJava
SouthJavaNBU
NBUEast

Thank you...JGM
Marko

Post by Marko » Dec 11th, ’15, 19:07

Currenty you can configure Auto Complete to show similar results but at least first characters needs to be right. We may consider what you ask for in the future.
Marko

Post by Marko » Dec 24th, ’15, 11:40

This option has been added in 3.06 - Preferences/Auto Complete/Include words containing the string.
JGM22

Post by JGM22 » Dec 24th, ’15, 14:19

Marko,

Thank you for including this option, it is greatly appreciated.

I was at the office yesterday showing off FK, hopefully others purchase a copy.

Happy Holidays...JGM
diego6111

Post by diego6111 » Feb 9th, ’17, 13:53

Hi.

I use Fastkeys mainly as a text expander and the option “Include words containing the string” is *almost* what I need.

I use Fastkeys to insert RTF files inside ODT documents using the string to show the menu.

My Text Expander entries are like these (I'm just making this up):

Code: Select all

String: -fundamentals1
Description: Fundamentals of the Java Programming Language
Type: Send
Substitute: %FILE_FundamentalsoftheJavaProgrammingLanguage_rtf%

Code: Select all

String: -classes1
Description: Classes and objects in Java
Type: Send
Substitute: %FILE_ClassesandobjectsinJava_rtf%
When I type “-fund” or "-clas" the proper menu for text expander appears and works great.

With the “Include words containing the string” option enabled, if I type the word “java” both the menus appears as well.

However, most of the times when I type “java” I don't want the menus to appear and they end up appearing and being intrusive.

So I'd like that the “Include words containing the string” option would work only if the word typed is preceded by a prefix.

Lets say I want to show all the text expander entries containing the word “java” in the description.

Instead of typing only “java”, I would have to type “*java” instead (* as prefix).

This way, the “Include words containing the string” would work only if the defined prefix is typed before the word.

I hope I made myself clear.

Thanks.
Marko

Post by Marko » Feb 10th, ’17, 15:01

I see your point. We can change this behavior to only match the abbreviation string and not the description.
diego6111

Post by diego6111 » Feb 10th, ’17, 19:37

Thanks for replying.

Actually I consider matching the description a great feature, especially if you have many abbreviations and don't remember them all.

I think matching only the abbreviation string would narrow it too much.

What I'd like to have is an option to match the description *but only if the word typed is preceded by a prefix* like "-java" instead of only "java".
Marko

Post by Marko » Feb 10th, ’17, 22:09

Which prefix? You mean to have * as a fixed search prefix?
diego6111

Post by diego6111 » Feb 11th, ’17, 00:50

The idea of a fixed search prefix would work for me.

It could be *, it doesn't matter. The important thing is that the prefix would indicate that the program should match/search the descriptions.

I'm certain that the current option “Include words containing the string” is very useful to a lot of people and it should remain.

However, for me it returns results all the time because I have dozens of text expander entries with long descriptions.

So it would be nice to have an option to trigger the description search only if a fixed prefix is used.

Maybe I have a very specific need because I use Fastkeys mostly as a text expander to paste long excerpts of RTF text. So I understand if the suggestion seems useless for most people.
Marko

Post by Marko » Feb 16th, ’17, 19:17

We can implement * suffix instead of prefix. Typing "java*" would show all strings and descriptions containing word "java".