adding ahk phrase file

Discussion, questions and support.
jrwf555

Post by jrwf555 » Mar 3rd, ’19, 22:59

Hi,

This will be a very simple question but I'm stuck after plenty of effort.

I want to add an ahk file to Text Expander. After I click Open File, and whether I try to add an ahk or a fkp file, FastKeys either won't read it or won't import it. Sometimes it says my files are empty when a check in Notepad confirms they're not.

I know there's an easy way to do this, because I've done it in the past. But I can't find how to do this in the Help files.

Can you help? I'm using FastKeys 4.17

Thanks,
John
Tom

Post by Tom » Mar 4th, ’19, 08:24

You can use File/Import/AutoHotkey script to import ahk hotstrings to Text Expander.
jrwf555

Post by jrwf555 » Mar 5th, ’19, 04:01

Thanks very much, Tom. It worked, of course.

I was trying to insert a new file from the Insert menu rather than import an ahk file from the File menu - at some point, would it be useful adding this to the Help file, since its absence is what drew me to post to the Forum.

Of course, it raised a second problem. The ahk script, added as a new tab, seems to work at a faster rate than the original default strings. I added key delays, up to 50 ms to try to solve it, but no luck.

So, quick shortcuts like 'tx' becomes 'trans' wold trigger before I could ever get to 'txf' for 'transference'. I could only solve the problem by removing the ahk file - at which point, I was then able to rmove the key delay back to 0 ms.

Is there a reason why this happens?

John
Tom

Post by Tom » Mar 8th, ’19, 22:48

John, it sounds like the "Trigger immediately" option is on for imported phrases?
jrwf555

Post by jrwf555 » Mar 9th, ’19, 02:19

Thanks, Tom. I'll check that and let you know if that was the case.

John
jrwf555

Post by jrwf555 » Mar 16th, ’19, 02:42

Hi Tom,

The trick wasn't slowing down the 'trigger immediately' option to make sure phrases didn't trigger immediately. Instead, I found that if an ahk file is imported to the phrase files tab, it runs fine. Adding it as a fresh tab seems to cause trouble - though I've no idea why.

But it's also easier to edit an ahk file this way. It's simple, as you'll know, to find and remove duplicates, or add new entries.

I've found it's also the easiest way to store personal phrases as files I can keep in a Cloud for transferring to new devices as needed.

Thanks for your help earlier.

John