Caps Lock Mapping Question

Discussion, questions and support.
acicovic

Post by acicovic » Sep 9th, ’18, 16:27

Hi,

I am currently trying Fastkeys, and I have a little problem. To put some context, on system startup I run the following external AutoHotkey script (by a shortcut on my Startup folder):

Code: Select all

CapsOn=false

*Capslock::
;suspend to prevent calling esc
Suspend on
Send, {ESC}
Suspend off
return

!Capslock::
;use global variable to keep track of state
if CapsOn = false
{
 CapsOn = true
 SetCapsLockState, on
}
else
{
 CapsOn = false
 SetCapsLockState, off
}

The script maps Caps Lock to the Escape key system-wide (so when I hit Caps Lock, an Escape keystroke is sent). If the Alt key is down while Caps Lock is pressed, then Caps Lock state is toggled.

My problem is that Fastkey autocomplete menus do not intercept this binding, so pressing Caps Lock to dismiss them does not work. So if I type ,op<Caps Lock>, the dialog remains and I have to move my hands to the unhandy Escape key on the top left.

I would assume that this happens because Fastkeys intercepts the keystroke before the AutoHotkey script. So my question is whether it is possible to integrate this keybinding within FastKeys, or if there is a known way to fix this.

Thank you!
Marko

Post by Marko » Sep 9th, ’18, 19:35

You are right, Escape key is used internally to close the popups and has a priority. We will check if this could be changed in one of the future releases.
AndaK

Post by AndaK » Dec 26th, ’18, 16:47

I have used Sharpkeys to eliminate the annoying capslock via registry.

https://filehippo.com/download_sharpkeys/
Tom

Post by Tom » Dec 26th, ’18, 17:58

No need to change the registry - in FastKeys you can disable CapsLock key in Preferences/Functions/Disable CapsLock.