Moving from Win 7 to 10

Discussion, questions and support.
pkoutoul

Post by pkoutoul » Aug 30th, ’18, 15:10

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere -- I looked but couldn't find an answer.

I've been using Fastkeys for years on my trusty 7 machine and now migrating to a new 10 laptop. I wasn't sure how to move my settings and phrases, etc. so I first tried restoring from a backup. That sort of worked, but every time I try to save in FK, I get errors about invalid phrases and the app stops.

Here's an example:

Error at line 40.
Line text: `cl
Error: This line does not contain a recognized action.

For each of these issues, I disabled the phrase, but the next save it just moved down the line to the next one. Apparently it doesn't like any of my phrases.

Next, I tried copying over all of the data folders from my old machine to the new one: Data, Phrase Files, Scripts, Word Lists. That did not resolve the issue.

I'm sure I've gone about all this wrong and am probably making it harder than it needs to be. Can someone please clue me in?

Pete
Marko

Post by Marko » Aug 30th, ’18, 16:05

FastKeys saves the data to .fdb files. Fresh install FastKeys on a new computer and copy your Settings.fdb (or any other) from the old computer and then use File/Open to open it.

If you still get error messages, please send me your fdb file to our support mail and I will check.
pkoutoul

Post by pkoutoul » Aug 30th, ’18, 16:43

Thank you Marko. I tried following your instructions but got the same result. I have sent me settings file to the support email as requested. Thanks for your help.