Newbie questions

Discussion, questions and support.
Howard

Post by Howard » Nov 30th, ’16, 04:56

Hi,

I just bought FastKeys. I was an early PRD+ user with DOS and I've been looking for a text-expansion program in Windows as simple and sensible. FastKeys seemed to be it, but now I'm lost. How do I get into the Library? How do I set up codes (so when I type "ey" it automatically becomes "every")?

Thanks for getting me started.

Howard
Tom

Post by Tom » Nov 30th, ’16, 18:39

Hi Howard and welcome to the forum.

There are many self-explanatory examples provided in FastKeys. Double-click on items to see how they are defined - try them. Here is how to add a new Text Expander item:

- click on the FastKeys Tray icon to show Settings window (there are many other ways to do this),
- select Text Expander from the menu on the left,
- select New to add a new item,
- type your abbreviation string into the String field,
- type your substitute string into the Substitute field,
- make sure the Type is set to "Send",
- click OK
- click Save

Select menu Insert/New from Library to access the Library. You can also select Library button to choose items from the Library when in editing window.

Please let me know if you need further support.

Post by Guest » Dec 1st, ’16, 02:53

Tom,

Thanks for your helpful response.

Problem: I clicked on the FastKeys icon in the tray. All I got was a short magenta bar, which appeared for a second. I caught the word "Loading" beneath it, but there was no settings page or anything else.

Your suggestions?

Howard
Tom

Post by Tom » Dec 2nd, ’16, 19:31

Loading bar appears only at FastKeys startup or when settings are saved. You can use the following alternatives to show the settings window:

- click on tray icon,
- right click try icon and select Settings,
- touch the upper screen edge with a mouse cursor and select Settings from the menu
- press shortcut defined under Preferences/Shortcuts.
Howard

Post by Howard » Dec 12th, ’16, 18:29

Tom,

Thanks so much for your help. I'm using FastKey. But amid the usefulness is a problem.

Do you (or anyone reading this) know a way to skip the expansion of an abbreviation? I ask because I was trying to write "Norwalk, CT." Imagine my surprise when I got "Norwalk, CURRENT TIME IS 12:23:48." Another text-expansion program I once used had a key that deactivated the expansion until the space key or other trigger was pressed. Perhaps FastKey already has such a key or it's scriptable.

Howard
Marko

Post by Marko » Dec 12th, ’16, 19:09

Sure, go to settings screen, Text Expander and double-click "ct" item to edit it. Disable "Trigger immediately" option. Click on "More settings" to show all options.

"ct" is just one of examples, you can also delete it or disable it.
Howard

Post by Howard » Dec 14th, ’16, 02:34

Marko,

Thanks for the information. However, the unwanted expansion of "CT" was merely an example of a general problem, not the whole problem.

Is there a way in FastKey or in a script to skip the expansion of an abbreviation?

Howard
Marko

Post by Marko » Dec 14th, ’16, 11:25

Sorry, I don't understand - what exactly are you looking for?

You can delete all provided examples and prepare your own. There are many settings to control the way expansions are triggered.
Howard

Post by Howard » Dec 15th, ’16, 02:06

Marko:

Example: My middle initial is R. I have "r" as an abbreviation for "are." So when I typed my middle initial for a credit card application I became Howard Are.

I'm asking about some way -- part of the program or in a script -- to click a key or key-combination to suspend FastKey's expanding an abbreviation. Iin other words, to click that key, then type "R" and have it stay "R" instead of expanding to "Are." Then, following the trigger character (. , ! etc.) go back to normal.

Can you suggest a way to do that?

Howard
Marko

Post by Marko » Dec 15th, ’16, 10:30

Good practice in text expanders is to use abbreviations which do not conflict with regular text typing.

Few ideas:
- use "Manual confirmation" option - you can press Escape in cases when triggering is not desired,
- use Pause shortcut (Preferences/General/Shortcuts) to temporarily disable/enable FastKeys when needed.