Text expanding in Windows 10

Discussion, questions and support.
GodParticle

Post by GodParticle » Mar 6th, ’16, 07:20

I have had long-term text expanding problems in Windows 10. If I insert an expansion such as

..map

into Windows 10 Mail then the expansion gets all confused and mixed up. It does not seem to do it in this forum..... ..map will paste correctly into the edge browser text box here.

Furthermore, I sometimes use another expansion

Lorem

which expands to:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non provident, sunt in culpa qui official deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

but unlike the Apple app that I use sometimes and which expands really fast, the expansion above pastes over several seconds, depending upon what I am pasting it into.

Thanks.
Marko

Post by Marko » Mar 6th, ’16, 11:17

These are not bugs.

1. Preferences/Text Expander/Advanced/Key Delay - Key delay setting is useful in some applications which cannot handle fast keystrokes. One example is Windows 10 Mail - try setting key delay to 20ms or 30ms to avoid issues. You can restrict a delay to only selected applications/windows - for example set "Key delay only active in" to "ahk_class ApplicationFrameWindow" to only have a delay in Mail.

2. Preferences/Text Expander/Advanced/Use Clipboard if length exceeds (char)... - set this to lower number. This way FastKeys will use clipboard technique for pasting larger text (faster).

Post by Guest » Apr 14th, ’16, 05:12

Marko, thanks for the reply. I have this shortcut text: lorem<SPACE>

which expands to:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

If I use the clipboard method that you suggested, then it fails in Windows 10 Mail -- nothing gets pasted (length set to 150 chars). The exact same setting in this forum in Microsoft Edge works fast and perfectly.

Marko, Fastkeys is broken in Microsoft Mail. It takes 30 seconds to paste the above text if I have to add a delay (30 ms). And on my Mac there are no setting like this even required... why should there be? This is a really simple thing to do -- just paste the text into the app.

This really needs fixing, Thanks.
Marko

Post by Marko » Apr 14th, ’16, 20:39

Again, what you are describing is a problem of Windows Mail, not FastKeys. You can see that Mail cannot handle fast keystrokes properly, when you set a delay it works ok. I tried some other similar software for Windows and the issue is the same.

I tested with your text again and both solutions work for me. With the clipboard method the text is shown instantly - do you have the settings set properly?