renaming PDF file

Discussion, questions and support.
Fred

Post by Fred » Jun 28th, ’22, 07:24

Hi, just started to use Fastkeys and I want to rename a PDF file but having some problems.
I right click on the file in Windows and type in the string which results in a selection form I created to drop in different dates. But when I select a date it doesn't drop into the name, and the name is left blank.
I am sure I am missing something basic but - appreciate any help.

Fred
Marko

Post by Marko » Jun 28th, ’22, 19:46

I tried and it works for me. Which end key do you use?
Fred

Post by Fred » Jun 28th, ’22, 22:13

Hi Marko,
thanks for responding. I am sorry, but I don't know what an "end key" is. I searched the online documentation for "end key" without success.
What I have done is:
1. put in words under "send"
XXXXXX %SELECT_dates%

when I input my string, it doesn't put in the XXXXX, and a box appears for me to select the date, which I do, and nothing happens.
On options, I have tried "Trigger immediately", "Don't delete string", "Trigger inside word", "manual confirmation" - but they all make no difference.

What is an "end key"?

thanks
Fred

Post by Fred » Jun 30th, ’22, 01:43

Also, I worked out the "end key" thing and activated modifiers and tried various with no luck. Honestly, it would be much more helpful if you could show me or give me a link to how I should setup a renaming of a pdf file in Windows explorer.

thank,
Fred
Marko

Post by Marko » Jul 1st, ’22, 21:21

The problem is that the Selection Form steals the focus from the entry field. This is a Windows limitation.
I suggest a workaround:

Code: Select all

{F2}%SELECT_Car% %SELECT_Form%%ShortDate%{Enter}
Create it as a shortcut, Type: Send. Simply select the file (you don't need to start renaming it) and press the shortcut.