[?] TextExpander using File Contents, No Longer Working after File Location Changed

Discussion, questions and support.
FastEddy

Post by FastEddy » Jun 7th, ’22, 12:27

Hello everyone and thank you to anyone that takes the moment to read through my odd issue that has come up just last night, after utilizing these features with no problems for over the past couple of years..

My Use-Case for these TE TE Rules:
I am required to do a lot of tagging of files, directly from the file names and what I have found that works the best for me is to create large regular expression formatted "Tag Lists", with a ton of OR pipelines.

Issue Background (Why/What):
I was doing this a rather painful way though, since I would do my list formatting in EmEditor, then have to update each rule, as new Tags were needing to be added to each list of Rules. Hoping to find an 'better' solution, I was thankful to see that I could import from File Contents.

This allowed me to change my TE Rules from looking like

And obviously more like what's seen below, as well as allowing me to stay within EmEditor and just "Save" the documents, once changes have been made to them.

Issue Faced:
All my (9 total) rules were effectively changed over to this revised way of setting up the rules for a couple of weeks, no problem.
Yesterday, I changed the directory to where I these [tag].txt files are saved, and then one-by-one, went through and re-connected them within each TE Rule, to reflect the file's new location.

...Problem is, after changing about 5 of them, I decided to 'test' things out, make sure I haddn't gotten ahead of myself and sure enough, I was unable to get any of the TE Rules to fire, that I had changed the file's directory of, within the TextExpander app.

Steps Already Taken to Resolve:
[*] Restarted PC
[*] Moved Files a 2nd time, from Network Storage to Local Storage, assuming that could be the 'problem' but no luck
[*] Deleted the TE Rules completely that we already malformed and tried recreating them with the correct paths and info from the start

I will attach some extra media below to help show my problem the best I can.
Again, thank you for spending your time today, seeing if you could help me identify my issue.

:)

Below Shows that both Expanders are currently enabled.

Below shows that both TE Rules are almost identical, the only difference being is that who.txt was one of the files moved to a new directory, while Toon Characters 2k TE Rule was left completely alone so far.

Last but not least, here I am trying to 'execute' the TE Rules ".who" and ".ch"
- Who correctly removes the command line once I get to the "o", but as you can see, it does not past the tag list, like the other command does.

Any suggestions?

Was a lot of typing, hope I didn't leave too much out.
Tom

Post by Tom » Jun 8th, ’22, 09:29

It seems the new path to the file is not valid. Try to open each File Contents macro again and select folder icon to select the file from a new location. If this doesn't work, please send me the example of a new path.