Virtual shift key sticks

Discussion, questions and support.
GandalfTheWhite

Post by GandalfTheWhite » Apr 22nd, ’22, 15:46

FastKeys has been great, but will often (not always) get "stuck" when a Shift + KEY is part of an expanded text.

For example, I put my email address in as '[email protected]', but it will often come out as 'username@DOMAIN>COM'. It appears the same as if I typed it manually but "forgot" to let go of the Shift key after typing the @. By continuing to hold down the Shift key, the word 'domain' becomes 'DOMAIN', the '.' becomes '>', and the 'com' becomes 'COM'.

This theory is reinforced by what happens next. After FastKeys outputs 'username@DOMAIN>COM', my keyboard navigation is severely disrupted until and unless I hit the Shift key, as if that is releasing or reverting the CAPS LOCK to regular lowercase text.

As this is my first post, I won't assume that the developer(s) track these posts, but if they do, can you confirm if this is a bug or some setting that I failed to enable or disable? Thanks. Happy Friday!
Tom

Post by Tom » Apr 23rd, ’22, 10:30

Hi and welcome to the forum. There have been reports like this in the past and the majority of the problems is related to underlying Windows systems/processes. We tried to add some internal controls in the most recent version of the software, which version do you use?

It may help to introduce a small Key Delay in Preferences/Text Expander/Advanced - try 1 ms.
GandalfTheWhite

Post by GandalfTheWhite » Apr 25th, ’22, 13:14

Hello Tom,

Thanks for your reply. I work in IT, so I can understand the interference from Windows. (It like to call it 'job security'!)

I'm using FastKeys v5.06, but your question prompted me to check for an update, so I just updated to v5.07. A quick test shows that it's working properly now! Thank you very much for the help.