Problem with with 'Run' type commands, when upgrading from 4.29 to 5.04

Discussion, questions and support.
Oblomov

Post by Oblomov » Aug 28th, ’21, 12:17

Hello,

Today I've finally decided (found the time and figured that it must be pretty stable by now) to move from 4.29 to 5.04.

Everything started out smooth, where I was changing the default Preferences at first… then I decided to execute a command called 'Window Spy open' through 'Quick find'

Its content:

Code: Select all

'C:\Program Files\AutoHotkey\WindowSpy.ahk'
Type: Run

And unfortunately, regardless of how many times I tried to call it, all it sent back was '}'

No matter if it's only one command I thought, but I've tried some other 'Run' type commands, such as

'Power Options open'
Content:

C:\Users\David\Dropbox\Power Options.lnk
What it does wrong: opens PowerPoint instead…

And then some more… some 'Run' type commands do seem to work, but others… yeah, they don't really do what they are supposed to. All other type of commands seem to work fine… can't know for sure without testing every one of them though...

Anyway, I tried to use this bar for grouping the 'Run' commands:
But noticed that it's missing inside of 5.04... how come? To me it has often times been invaluable... like for example now, in order to group the 'Run' commands together and then try them out one by one... maybe I missed the setting for it?

P.S. The reason for why I decided to upgrade in the first place, was because of the 'Number of items' feature, as there was/is a switch cost for me, in regards a bunch of AHK commands for managing/working inside of FK itself (the 4.29 version that is), e.g. a function key for selecting 'Window' inside of Shortcuts or quickly checking if a chunk of my commands has been removed after an 'Apply' through 'Restore Backup'…

I also much more prefer the old FK look, instead of the 'soullessly corporate' look of 5.04… but yeah. 4.29 is where the 'heart' is, but if it's also the version that is ironically most stable in my case for now, then… yeah, I guess me and 4.29 aren't going through our rather afflictive divorce just yet 🚬

Kind regards,
David
Last edited by Oblomov on Sep 2nd, ’21, 19:48, edited 2 times in total.
Marko

Post by Marko » Aug 29th, ’21, 18:08

FastKeys will properly run/open any valid Windows path. In case the path contains a space character, path should be enclosed by quotation marks. Same as with the Command Prompt. Try

"C:\Users\David\Dropbox\Power Options.lnk"
To sort the columns, right-click and select Sort.

You can change FastKeys colors in Preferences/General/Theme. I hope you'll like one of them. :D
Oblomov

Post by Oblomov » Sep 2nd, ’21, 20:09

Marko wrote: Aug 29th, ’21, 18:08 FastKeys will properly run/open any valid Windows path. In case the path contains a space character, path should be enclosed by quotation marks. Same as with the Command Prompt. Try

"C:\Users\David\Dropbox\Power Options.lnk"
To sort the columns, right-click and select Sort.

You can change FastKeys colors in Preferences/General/Theme. I hope you'll like one of them. :D
Using "" worked! Wonder why it works without all that for 4.29 though... perhaps because the method was implemented wrongly there or something like that? 🤔

Couldn't quite 'isolate' the 'Run' type commands through the 'Sort' function by the way 😞

Also thanks for the theme tip... blind me 😔