Can a "FastPaste" equivalent be created in FastKeys?

Discussion, questions and support.
Marko

Post by Marko » Jun 3rd, ’21, 18:32

Thanks for your thoughts, very much appreciated. We would need to think about all possible alternatives before implementing. I'm more leaning towards integrating new features with existing FastKeys functionality rather then adding a new independent feature.

Actually, in FastKeys, you can already create unlimited input forms using Manual Text Input, Selection Form and Selection Table macros. Therefore the data collection part is already available. The collected fields are then used in the text placeholders. All macros have a "no output" option - in this case the data is collected and the output can be made later. Also, each entered field has a separate variable name which can be used in other commands, conditional macros and scripts.

For the output (paste) part, one possible idea would be to implement a toolbar which would show available (collected) data fields and allow quick pasting etc. (as discussed previously). The question is how to integrate everything together into the easy to understand and convenient function. The toolbar could be set to appear automatically after the entry or manually, by pressing a shortcut. It would show the fields of the latest entered form, or user could select one of the forms... just quick thoughts...

Please try to play with the User Input macros (see the Medical HPI example) and let me know what you think. ;)
jvroom

Post by jvroom » Jun 4th, ’21, 20:49

Hi Marko,

Thanks for the thoughtful/insightful and robust reply. It's very much appreciated. I concur with almost everything you said/mentioned.

Something tells me that between your first version (the code you sent early on), and the comments/wish list items we've come up with, you now have a pretty good idea of some features/capabilities that would be able to be added to the project ... I'm using your version 1 solution quite successfully as it stands now. I know you're busy, so I'm going to pause/stop adding more into the projects wish-list bucket and instead just look forward to hopefully seeing some iterative progress...soon:)

I'm willing to offer continued feedback on issues (if desired?) but I'm thinking that maybe it's better for me to step back a bit and let you do your magic!

In your last message, you said...
"Please try to play with the User Input macros (see the Medical HPI example) and let me know what you think."
Where can I find the "Medical HPI example"?

Good luck with the project, and I'm excited and looking forward to seeing and trying out a Version 2 ... soon!?
Marko

Post by Marko » Jun 5th, ’21, 18:24

jvroom wrote: Jun 4th, ’21, 20:49 Where can I find the "Medical HPI example"?
This is one of the default examples in the Text Expander module. If you deleted it, you can still find it in the Examples.fdb file - File/Open...

Your feedback is highly appreciated, of course. :)
jvroom

Post by jvroom » Jun 5th, ’21, 19:30

Hi Marko,

Thanks for replying so quickly.

I did find the Medical HPI Example you pointed me to and I'm now looking forward to studying it.

Thanks!
Marko

Post by Marko » Sep 8th, ’21, 19:34

We have released a new version 5.05 with the Floating Clipboard Manager which utilizes some of the ideas and discussions we had in this thread. Please let me know if you have any comments. Thanks.
https://fastkeysautomation.com/forum/vi ... f=3&t=1750
jvroom

Post by jvroom » Sep 28th, ’21, 16:17

Hi Marko, Thanks for the heads up regarding the new floating clipboard feature.

Some thoughts/feedback.

1. By any chance could the floating clipboard window be converted/changed to a standard Windows type of window. (So that a utility like this could work with it? 4t Tray Minimizer / https://4t-niagara.com/tray.html)

2. It took some time before I discovered that clicking on clip numbers pastes clip contents to the cursor location. (Maybe a "Click clip number to paste" tooltip would help to highlight the capability?)

3. Hmm. I like the clipboard manager, but the "FastPaste" equivalent (the main topic of this thread) calls for the user to be able to type values into a form like the new clipboard manager and be able to reuse those values during a customer service call. Maybe a "pasteboard manager" toggle, or additional feature/option could be enabled, or added? (Note: The sample solution/code that was offered to me previously (May 23rd in this thread) accomplishes this quite well. Similar to item 1 above I'd like the "pasteboard" input window/form to be a standard window So that a utility like this could work with it? 4t Tray Minimizer / https://4t-niagara.com/tray.html)

Thanks again for your follow-up/heads-up message that alerted me to the new version & feature.
Marko

Post by Marko » Sep 29th, ’21, 18:21

Thanks for your feedback.
1. I don't think so.
2. Tooltips are available after closing FastKeys window.
3. You mean the form text would be editable? As the clipboard content can also be a formatted text, image, file etc., editing would destroy the formatting and convert the clipboard to text only.
jvroom

Post by jvroom » Oct 1st, ’21, 17:07

Marko wrote: Sep 29th, ’21, 18:21 Thanks for your feedback.
1. I don't think so.
2. Tooltips are available after closing FastKeys window.
3. You mean the form text would be editable? As the clipboard content can also be a formatted text, image, file etc., editing would destroy the formatting and convert the clipboard to text only.

#1 okay
#2 okay

#3...
The code you provided (Post by Marko » May 23rd, ’21, 13:41) generates a form where you can type values into fields (temporarily saved), and then either click a copy button (to Copy the typed/entered form field value, or Paste the value to the location where the cursor is...All good.

I'm imagining adding this capability (either as a toggle capability for the new clipboard manager or as an additional FaskKey right-click notification
icon menu option) that could possibly be called a "Paste Board"?