Expanding text *within* an expanded text?

Discussion, questions and support.
willzyx

Post by willzyx » Aug 18th, ’20, 06:07

Hi there! Hope someone will be able to help me. I'm migrating my text expansion usage to FastKeys from another program but have run into a small hurdle: On the other text expander I'm able to expand a string within another expansion's string input macro, but I don't seem to be able to do this on FastKeys?

Attempted explanation: Expansion1 will trigger various text but will also eventually prompt an input field macro, to which you then input string to find and select Expansion2 (or 3, or 4, etc) within the input box, then it continues on completing the rest of Expansion1.

I'm sure I'm missing something but I'm not sure what? Thank you in advance
Marko

Post by Marko » Aug 18th, ’20, 06:12

Are you looking for “Insert another item” macro? More/Macros...
willzyx

Post by willzyx » Aug 18th, ’20, 06:21

It's very close - I can see the various items/expansions I might use, but the 2nd expansion will always be different and so can't be chosen specifically. If that makes sense?

Basically I'm hoping Expansion2 will trigger as normal within a text input macro field, but it doesn't seem to. I've tried expanding within Manual Text Input and Input Selection Form/Type: Input fields with no luck.
Marko

Post by Marko » Aug 18th, ’20, 07:23

Yes, text expanding is disabled in the input fields.

Try setting multiple susbstitutes in the text expander.
selection1
/selection2
/selection3
willzyx

Post by willzyx » Aug 18th, ’20, 23:06

Ah ok no worries! Is there any chance it might be enabled in future? Thank you for letting me know either way.

*Actually - after having a think around it, would it be possible to declare an input variable and call it as an item later?
eg INPUT_Number = "1234" then later INSERT_(INPUT_Number) as item/string reference 1234?