Selecting a portion of text (within Notepad)

Discussion, questions and support.
Oblomov

Post by Oblomov » Nov 13th, ’19, 21:32

I very frequently use Notepad to copy/select things and the like, however, I was wondering. Could it perhaps be possible to select a portion of text, that is between 2 enters?

For example this, has "Word Wrap"

So it's basically:

Code: Select all

text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text

text text text text text text text text

text text text text text
Over time, it gets rather tedious selecting something like that with a mouse, each and every time. So it could be really cool if you could just arrow your way to the portion, and then just press a hotkey that would select the portion you've navigated to
Marko

Post by Marko » Nov 14th, ’19, 17:58

Why not using standard Windows shortcuts? For example, in Word, you can press Ctrl+Shift+Down/Up to select a paragraph. There are no paragraphs in Notepad but you can press Shift+Down/Up to select the text lines.
Oblomov

Post by Oblomov » Nov 14th, ’19, 18:47

Marko wrote: Nov 14th, ’19, 17:58 Why not using standard Windows shortcuts? For example, in Word, you can press Ctrl+Shift+Down/Up to select a paragraph. There are no paragraphs in Notepad but you can press Shift+Down/Up to select the text lines.
The Shift+Down/Up does indeed do the job, although it always selects an enter below, together with it. Which can be fixed with one Shift+Down/Up

But yeah, working with many "paragraphs" or rather clusters, of more than 2-3 lines within Notepad, does however kinda rob one of time, especially in the long-term. I would say
Oblomov

Post by Oblomov » Nov 28th, ’19, 19:29

Marko wrote: Nov 14th, ’19, 17:58 Why not using standard Windows shortcuts? For example, in Word, you can press Ctrl+Shift+Down/Up to select a paragraph. There are no paragraphs in Notepad but you can press Shift+Down/Up to select the text lines.
Seems that using "Send, ^{LShift down}{Left}{LShift up}" would be more optimal, upon repeated use. However, I can't quite seem to get it working, as it only ends up selecting one letter, instead of a word 🤔