Fastkeys in Windows 10

Discussion, questions and support.
Hugh

Post by Hugh » Feb 16th, ’18, 06:58

I've been using FastKeys for several years in Win 7 and have found it useful and reliable. I've just bought a new PC with Win 10 installed but cannot get it to work at all. I've set up a number of words and phrases to open programs etc but none of them will work at all. All I get is a error 'ding' from my PC and nothing happens. Can anyone suggest what might be the problem? Thanks in advance.

Hugh, Australia
Marko

Post by Marko » Feb 16th, ’18, 10:21

Hi Hugh,
there should be no issues on Windows 10. Can you load (File/Open) Examples.fdb file and try it? It is also possible that you have some anti-virus software installed which might block some FastKeys features - could you please check?
Hugh

Post by Hugh » Feb 19th, ’18, 00:48

Thanks for your reply Marko. I found that all of the items I tried in examples.fdb worked fine, as do the preset ones in the list. I turned off my antivirus program while I reinstalled the program and tried it out but still the problem is there with the ones I have set up myself. All worked fine in Win 7 so I copied the settings.fdb file from there, but it's still the same. When I use one of my strings nothing at all happens. Beats me!
gustms

Post by gustms » Feb 19th, ’18, 14:14

Are you using Phrase Files? The strings are saved in settings.fdb, but if the files were not copied along with the settings files (they are not saved inside the backup), then the program won't be able to see what is inside the files.

FastKeys works great here as well with all my strings in Win10.
Marko

Post by Marko » Feb 19th, ’18, 17:04

You could also send me your Settings.fdb file and I will check what might be the issue.
Hugh

Post by Hugh » Feb 22nd, ’18, 03:25

Thanks again Marko for your patience! I've found that most things work OK now but my problem concerns launching programs that are part of Win 10, specifically Windows Mail and MS Edge. I just can't figure out how to set these up to open with a FastKeys command. If I do it in the normal way, I get taken to File Explorer and the entry therein associated with the app concerned. Is there something I'm missing with these ones?
Marko

Post by Marko » Feb 22nd, ’18, 08:54

I have found this useful overview of commands to directly run Windows 10 apps:
https://winaero.com/blog/run-windows-10 ... -commands/

For example (Type: Run):

Code: Select all

microsoft-edge:
or

Code: Select all

microsoft-edge:https://www.fastkeysautomation.com